Rules For the 17th Annual Okanagan Short Story Contest
Download a Microsoft Word document containing the rules:
Story_contest_rules_2015.docx (31 KB).
1st Prize: $500 PLUS a one-week residency at the Woodhaven Eco Culture Centre
2nd Prize: $200
3rd Prize: $100
Prizes are awarded for the best new short stories in the Okanagan. Entries will be judged by UBC Creative Writing Faculty and an external judge, 2015 Writer-in-Residence, Marie Clements.
1. This contest is open to all residents of the southern interior of British Columbia: east of Hope, west of the Alberta border, north of the US border and Williams Lake and south.
2. Entries must be original, unpublished works of fiction, submitted on plain 8 1/2 X 11 white paper, double-spaced and typed.
3. Short stories should range from 1000 to 4000 words. We encourage writers to abide by these limits. The judges reserve the right to disqualify stories that are too long.
We are looking for adult short fiction.
4. Entries must be accompanied by a $15 entry fee, a money order or cheque payable to the University of British Columbia.
5. No name, address, phone number or any identifying mark should appear on the pages of the manuscript. Attach a separate page with the authorís name, address, phone number and the name of the story. Authors whose stories make it to the short list stage should be prepared to submit to the administrators of the contest an electronic version of the story and biographical information.
6. Entries must be postmarked on or before Thursday, January 15th 2015 or must be received at the Creative Studies Office of the University of British Columbia by that date.
7. There are no age limits or no limits on the number of entries, but each entry must be accompanied by a $15 entry fee.
8. Entries will be judged solely on artistic merit. Decisions of the judges are final.
9. Because of time restrictions and quantity of entries, no manuscripts will be returned. No phone calls or other communication will be entered into regarding the contest. The administrators of the contest do not take responsibility for lost manuscripts. Please keep a copy. We do not accept electronic submissions.
10.The winners will be announced in March 2015 at at a public event where the winning writers are invited to read from their work.
11.Any funds not used for administration of the contest go towards funding a Creative Writing scholarship for students transferring to UBC Okanagan from Okanagan College.
12. Mail entries to:
Okanagan Short Fiction Contest
c/o Toby Wesenberg
Department of Creative Studies
CCS 153, UBC
1148 Research Road
Kelowna, BC V1V 1V7
Note: the residency is for one week, or 7 nights. The winner will be assigned one of the three suites at the Woodhaven Eco Culture Centre, a fully furnished residence with fully equipped kitchen, bed, linens, towels, and Internet. The resident can access 8 acres of wild forest property; stores and buses are nearby. Other artists or students may be in residence but each unit is completely separate with parking and separate entrances. The resident is responsible for his or her own meals and daily housekeeping.
For more information on the contest, visit the website at www.okstorycontest.org, or to talk to someone, see the Contact Page