Rules For the 15th Annual Okanagan Short Story Contest
Download a Microsoft Word document containing the rules:
Story_contest_rules_2012.doc (31 KB).
1st Prize: $500
2nd Prize: $200
3rd Prize: $100
and publication in a limited edition chapbook.
Prizes are awarded for the best new short stories in the Okanagan. Entries will be judged by Okanagan College and UBC Creative Writing Faculty and an external judge, Erin Mouré.
1. This contest is open to all residents of the southern interior of British Columbia: east of Hope, west of the Alberta border, north of the US border and Williams Lake and south.
2. Entries must be original, unpublished works of fiction, submitted on plain 8 1/2 X 11 white paper, double-spaced and typed.
3. Short stories should range from 1000 to 4000 words. We encourage writers to abide by these limits. The judges reserve the right to disqualify stories that are too long.
We are looking for adult short fiction.
4. Entries must be accompanied by a $15 entry fee, a money order or cheque payable to the University of British Columbia.
5. No name, address, phone number or any identifying mark should appear on the pages of the manuscript. Attach a separate page with the author’s name, address, phone number and the name of the story. Authors whose stories make it to the short list stage should be prepared to submit to the administrators of the contest an electronic version of the story and biographical information.
6. Entries must be postmarked on or before Friday, January 4th, 2013 or must be received at the Creative Studies Office of the University of British Columbia by that date.
7. There are no age limits or no limits on the number of entries, but each entry must be accompanied by a $15 entry fee.
8. Entries will be judged solely on artistic merit. Decisions of the judges are final.
9. Because of time restrictions and quantity of entries, no manuscripts will be returned. No phone calls or other communication will be entered into regarding the contest. The administrators of the contest do not take responsibility for lost manuscripts. Please keep a copy. We do not accept electronic submissions.
10.The winners will be announced in March 2013 at at a public event where the winning writers are invited to read from their work.
11.11. Any funds not used for administration of the contest go towards funding a Creative Writing scholarship for students transferring to UBC Okanagan from Okanagan College..
12. Mail entries to:
Okanagan Short Fiction Contest
c/o Melissa McHugh, FIN 153
Faculty of Creative and Critical Studies
University of British Columbia
3333 University Way
Kelowna BC V1V 1V7
For more information, visit the website at www.okstorycontest.org, see the Contact Page